Home/News/Transfer News
Maresca Vows to Find 'the New Rodri' as Manchester City Plan Busy Transfer Window
Transfer News

Maresca Vows to Find 'the New Rodri' as Manchester City Plan Busy Transfer Window

32 minutes ago·3 min

Enzo Maresca has declared that Manchester City will do whatever it takes to unearth a successor to Rodri, one week after the Spain captain completed his high-profile move to La Liga champions Barcelona.

Rodri departs the Etihad Stadium after seven exceptional seasons, during which he established himself as one of the finest midfielders in the world. Among his honours are four Premier League titles, the 2023 UEFA Champions League final — where he scored the decisive goal — and the 2024 Ballon d'Or. He also steered Spain to World Cup glory this summer before sealing a four-year deal at the Nou Camp, with Barcelona paying a fee in the region of £65 million for the 30-year-old.

Maresca, speaking to the media, framed the search for Rodri's heir as a familiar challenge at City. "How do we solve that problem? We try to find the new Rodri, it is what it is," he said. He was also keen to point out that Rodri himself arrived at City without the individual and collective trophies he would later accumulate.

The City manager drew a direct line between historic departures and the arrivals that followed. "I was thinking on Thursday night: when David Silva was here, everyone was worried and Kevin [De Bruyne] arrived. When Sergio [Aguero] was here, everyone was worried and Erling [Haaland] arrived. Fernandinho? Rodri arrived," Maresca explained. "When they leave, you need to be good in recruiting the next one. It is normal, it is change, it is not a problem — go again and try to do the right things."

Rodri made close to 300 appearances for City. Despite the club offering him a contract extension, negotiations were unable to produce an agreement in the final 12 months of his deal.

City's transfer business heats up

Manchester City are expected to be active in the closing days of the transfer window. They have already broken their club record to sign England international midfielder Elliot Anderson from Nottingham Forest for £115 million.

The club are in advanced negotiations to bring in Moroccan talent Ayyoub Bouaddi from Lille. According to BBC Sport, City have also maintained their interest in Chelsea's Enzo Fernandez, while Bournemouth's Alex Scott and Liverpool's Alexis Mac Allister are among other targets being considered.

On the outgoings front, Tottenham Hotspur have agreed a £75 million fee for Brazilian winger Savinho, and talks are also under way regarding City team-mate Omar Marmoush.

Maresca acknowledged the uncertainty that defines the final stretch of any window. "There are 10 days to go, hopefully we can do the things that we need to do," he said. He added that while unsettled players complicate planning, the club has no desire to retain those who want to leave. "Probably the normal thing in the transfer window is that you have to wait until the last week, because all the clubs try to keep players until the last week and then sell for more money. It's normal."

Comments
Be the first to comment.
Related StoriesSee All