Home/News/Premier League
Jaissle Opens Up on Career-Ending Injury and His Vision for Newcastle United
Premier League

Jaissle Opens Up on Career-Ending Injury and His Vision for Newcastle United

45 minutes ago·3 min

Matthias Jaissle describes the moment a serious knee injury ended his playing career at the age of 25 as "the biggest setback" of his life — a period of darkness that, paradoxically, set him on the road to becoming head coach of Newcastle United.

"I got to know the heavy side of life," said Jaissle, who had previously fulfilled his dream of winning promotion to the Bundesliga with Hoffenheim before the injury struck. "I had to stop and quit my career as a footballer quite early, but that also showed me that you can see all challenges in a positive way and see the opportunity behind it. Now I'm here as manager of Newcastle United. I couldn't dream about that 15 years ago. That's life."

Embracing a difficult task

That resilience has proved essential. Jaissle was parachuted into the Newcastle hotseat just weeks before the start of the season, taking over from Eddie Howe — who stepped down after four and a half years in charge — and inheriting a club in transition after the departures of Bruno Guimaraes, Sandro Tonali, and Anthony Gordon.

Rather than dwell on the turbulence, the 38-year-old former Al-Ahli and Red Bull Salzburg manager is determined to focus on what lies ahead. He refuses to "waste energy" discussing the financial rules that have restricted Newcastle's spending and forced the club to sell.

"I like challenges," he said. "We will have no excuses."

Newcastle have made six signings this summer — Lukas Hornicek, Ewen Jaouen, Amar Dedic, Sean Steur, Aladji Bamba, and Bazoumana Toure — all aged 24 or under. Jaissle acknowledges they will need time to adapt to the Premier League's demands, but remains "confident there will be changes" before the transfer window closes on 1 September.

Unfazed by outside scepticism

Several pundits have tipped Newcastle for a difficult campaign, but Jaissle is unbothered. "Everyone is somehow against us or do not think we can play a good role in the Premier League," he said. "We will try to convince them in a different way that we are able to."

After reaching out to Howe — who ended the club's long wait for a trophy by lifting the EFL Cup in 2025 and guided them into the UEFA Champions League on multiple occasions — Jaissle has spoken warmly of his predecessor. While keeping the contents of their conversation private, he described Howe as "not only a great manager" but also "a great human being."

Ambition and a tribute to Keegan

Newcastle finished 12th in the Premier League last season — a bruising domestic campaign — and chief executive David Hopkinson has set a target of competing for the sport's biggest prizes by 2030. Jaissle insists those above him "know about the challenges so will be patient," but stresses that patience should not be mistaken for lack of ambition.

"We are really ambitious and have high goals, high expectations, high demands and live to these standards day in, day out," he said.

Jaissle's vision for Newcastle's style of play draws direct inspiration from the Kevin Keegan era, with the new head coach keen to build on the attacking, front-footed football that thrilled fans in the 1990s. "The playing style back then reminds me very much of how we want to play," he said. "The Entertainers is a special name for it, so let's hope we can go in the same direction."

Supporters at St James' Park will pay tribute to Keegan — the club's most transformational figure, who died in July aged 75 — before Newcastle face Liverpool on Sunday, another of Keegan's former clubs. Jaissle admits the occasion has already given him goosebumps.

Comments
Be the first to comment.
Related StoriesSee All